Mobile Number Portability is the transfer of your existing number from one network provider to the other keeping the number same. The main advantage of portability is to save your time from any troubles of informing your family, friends and relatives about your change of number.
Today we will discuss about How to do mobile portability in India. Follow these some steps: –
REQUEST FOR PORTING
- CONTACT the service provider to want to port your existing number
- OBTAIN a CAF form (Customer Acquisition Form) along with Porting form
- Carefully READ all the instructions
- If you feel you are eligible to port your number, FILL UP both the forms. You will need a UPC (Unique Porting Code)
- OBTAIN UPC type ‘PORT’ space your mobile number and send it to ‘1900’
- The obtained UPC is valid for 15 days
- SUBMIT both the CAF and porting forms with one documentary proof
- Post-paid customers need to submit copy of their last paid bill
- OBTAIN a new SIM
- PORTING charges may incur about Rs. 19/-
If you want to withdraw your portability request then you can easily withdraw your request within 24 hours. But the porting charges are non-refundable.
ACTIVATION OF PORTED NUMBER
- INTIMATE date and time will be allotted to you by your new service provider
- CHANGE OVER the portability takes about 7 working days
- REPLACE insert the new SIM after the allotted time and date
ELIGIBILITY & OTHER CONDITIONS
- Your existing number is eligible for portability only if it is activated for minimum 90 days
- Your number is eligible for portability only in the same service area
- Postpaid customers do ensure your all previous dues are paid
- Prepaid customers you balance amount if any will lapse during portability
Once your existing number is ported to the new service provider, you need to stay for at least 3months and before 3 months you are not eligible to port your number again to any new service provider. Mobile number portability is only available within a telecom circle of your existing mobile number.
In July 2013, I also have gone for my mobile portability process for Idea service provider to Vodafone service provider (prepaid) and for Aircel service provider to Airtel service provider (postpaid). I am happier with the prepaid SIM card portability as it is easier and fastest than the postpaid portability.
You can even go with converting your postpaid connection to prepaid connection and then the number portability.
So this is How to do mobile portability in India. Did you ever have experience of mobile portability? How is it?
Share your experiences if any.